Twitter ™ is an iconic and inevitable social network in the media sphere. Its particularity comes from the limitation of the size of the messages to 280 characters maximum. Represented by a little blue bird, Twitter ™ is very popular in France and around the world. You want to know the number of Twitter ™ users and have access to the latest data? In this page discover key figures 2021 (2020) and statistics social network update: audience, number of users, attendance, key figures …
Twitter ™ in figures: the dates that marked the history of the network
Twitter ™ was founded in 2006 by the startup Odeo located in San Francisco, United States. . The inventors of the social network are Jack Dorsey, Evan Williams, Biz Stone and Noah Glass.  Initially, the network is called Twttr, and the first tweet is sent by Jack Dorsey (current president) on March 21, 2006. This message “I am creating my Twttr account” is still accessible on the platform:
In 2007, Chris Messina’s invention of the famous hashtag was used on Twitter ™ to aggregate tweets on similar topics. the first hashtag (sharp character) appeared in August 2007 . Today, the hashtag occupies a central place in the landscape of social networks. To read in addition: LinkedIn hashtag: how to use it to gain visibility?
In 2009, Michael J. Massimino, astronaut sent the first tweet from space .
It was in 2013 that Twitter ™ went public at $ 26 per share .
In 2014, tweeters were able to distribute GIFs (animated images) .
In April 2017, the platform released the “Twitter Lite” mobile application, a lighter version of the tool, allowing messages to be transmitted when the user has little network . In 2017, Twitter ™ extended the tweet to 280 characters  . Originally, founded to send small instant messages, tweets were limited to 140 characters.
The number of users worldwide in 2021 and other Twitter ™ figures
Twitter ™ First Quarter 2021  Results Show 199 Million Monetizable Active Users Per Day , which represents an increase of 20% compared to 2020.
In the United States, 73 million active daily users can be monetized . Twitter ™ only counts members who see advertisements unlike other networks which include all daily visitors.
The tweeters are made up of 64% men and 36% women , which makes it a rather masculine network.
Twitter ™’s global advertising audience  consists of:
- 6.6% of users between 13 and 17 years old,
- 17.1% between 18 and 24 years old,
- 38.5% between 25 and 34 years old (including 21.4% men),
- 20.7% between 35 and 49 years old,
- 17.1% over 50 years old.
Every second, around 9,000 tweets are published, or more than 750 million per day . On Twitter ™, you can send text, photos, a GIF, or a video. You also have the possibility to put emojis or emoticons: follow the link for access the list of symbols to copy and paste.
In the first quarter of 2021, Twitter ™ revenue reached $ 1.04 billion, an increase of 28% compared to the same period of 2020 ($ 808 million) .
Key figures Twitter ™ 2021 in France
In France, according to Médiamétrie , the key figures of Twitter ™, in June 2020, are:
- 16.9 million unique visitors per month,
- 4.4 million average unique visitors per day ,
- 71.5% mobile use and 12.2% tablet use.
In 2019, according to Statista , 41% of French people aged 18 to 24 are registered on Twitter ™ and 11% of those over 65.
The IFOP study “The French and Twitter” , teaches us that:
- 62% of French tweeters connect at least once a week and 40% daily.
- The most prominent hahsatg in France is #JesuisCharlie, followed by #Metoo.
- ¼ of the members of the platform know “Flash Tweet”. It is the Morning at 7:30 am that gives the 10 essential information of the digital transformation.
Twitter ™ in numbers for businesses
Twitter ™ is not a network reserved for politicians and journalists, this platform offers great opportunities for companies. This allows you to:
- improve your SEO on Google whose tweets appear in search pages;
- develop your professional network;
- improve your personal branding thanks to a content strategy that shows your expertise;
- to keep vigil.
Twitter ™ gives you 280 characters per tweet, which is enough to place your strategic keywords, send traffic to your site or share your know-how. However, since the lifetime of a tweet is relatively short (around 20 minutes), I recommend broadcasting 15 tweets per day, ideally every hour of the day.
Twitter ™ remains an advantageous network for professionals. Here are the Twitter ™ Business figures to know :
- To discover new things, Twitter ™ is the first platform.
- 53% of network users are likely to buy new products on Twitter ™.
- Twitter users spend 26% more time on Twitter ™ ads (compared to other platforms).
In order to maximize your presence on this network, the sponsored tweet (paid feature) extends its visibility and makes it possible to target a more precise audience.
Number of Twitter ™ users and Twitter ™ key figures 2021: in conclusion
- 199 million active users who can be monetized per day (first quarter 2021);
- Worldwide: 17% of members are between 18 and 24 years old and 38.5% are between 25 and 34 years old.
- 36% women and 64% men.
- Every second 9,000 tweets, or more than 750 million per day.
- In France: 16.9 million monthly users and 4.4 million average unique visitors per day (June 2020).
- 41% of French users are between 18 and 24 years old.
Number of Twitter ™ users & 2021 key figures: to sum up in 4 questions
Quel est le nombre d’utilisateurs de Twitter™ ?
Twitter ™ has around 199 million daily active users worldwide (first quarter 2021). Sources: Twitter ™
Qui sont les utilisateurs de Twitter™ ?
Globally, Twitter ™ is a resolutely masculine network with 64% men and 36% women. The audience is young: 38.5% are between 25 and 34 years old (including 21.4% men) Source: Digital 2020 July Global Statshot Report (July 2020) v01 – We are social / Hootsuite
Quels sont les chiffres clés de Twitter™ en France ?
According to Médiamétrie, in June 2020, Twitter ™ recorded 16.9 million unique visitors per month and 4.4 million average unique visitors per day. Mobile use takes precedence with 71.5% of connections. The network attracts a young audience, in fact, the French aged 18 to 24 are 41% on the network. Sources: Médiamétrie and Statista
Quel est le chiffre d'affaires de Twitter™
Twitter’s revenue for the first quarter of 2021 is $ 1.04 billion, up 28% from the same period of 2020 ($ 808 million). Source: Twitter ™
 https://www.slideshare.net/DataReportal April 2021 (slides 115 to 118)