Choosing your type of marketing is done according to your objectives: expanding your clientele, converting more leads or prospects, finding new customers, making yourself known to your audience, maintaining a privileged relationship with your customers, etc.
Relational, influence, digital, content, direct, search engine, viral or even street marketing. All these techniques require actions, services, developments or skills to be implemented. For example, direct telephone marketing requires tact and script preparation, while email marketing requires copywriting skills to grab attention and generate interest.
In this article, we show you the 7 most effective types of marketing to boost your business!
1. Search engine marketing, the type of marketing to get a place on the web
Also called SEM (Search Engine Marketing), this marketing strategy consists of promoting your website, product or service on search engines. Concretely, this means that your brand is offered to prospects in the first results, or that it is widely visible on the internet. It is a marketing method that belongs to digital marketing.
To set up a digital presence strategy, we take into account the SEM (SEM = SEO + SEA). It is therefore natural referencing associated with paid referencing to boost its visibility on the web.
There are two techniques that allow you to be visible on search engines:
- Natural referencing;
- Paid referencing.
Discover immediately what they consist of and how to set them up!
Natural referencing (SEO)
Natural referencing, that is to say the fact of writing articles, web pages or product sheets optimized for the web. Often described as free, this method is actually more complex than it seems, since you must know the criteria of Google™. The mastery of SEO (Search Engine Optimization) as well as the regular publication of content are essential elements to hope to be in the good graces of Google™ and appear on the first page of the results.
Generally, this takes time and many companies use web editors. It is a safe investment, which allows you to promote your business over the long term and to forge a true image of an expert with your customers. Be careful however, the first benefits of natural referencing require between 3 to 6 months.
The content is not the only parameter in the implementation of a natural referencing strategy. Indeed, the technical aspect also occupies an important place since if your site does not check the following criteria, the robots of the search engines cannot read it and it finds itself penalized. So your website should be:
- Efficient and fast;
- Mobile friendly, i.e. adapting equally well to computers, tablets and mobiles;
- Highly and easily usable, with a clear and readable interface.
In addition to content and technique, backlinks come into play in your search engine marketing strategy. By backlinks we mean the incoming and outgoing links of your website.
- The internal links constitute the internal mesh, making it possible to optimize navigation.
- Outbound links allow you to bring additional information to your audience as well as reinforce the depth of your subject with Google™. Too many outgoing links are penalized by Google™, even if they are artificial. It is important to point to reliable sites with a strong authority domain so that Google™ trusts your site.
- Inbound links are links that point to your site. They make it possible to redirect the audience to your URL and they transmit a little of the power of the site which places the link.
Paid referencing (SEA)
These are the very first results that appear at the top of the search engine page. These are not naturally referenced pages, but advertisements. As the owner of your website, you pay according to the duration and the number of clicks, for example 5 € for a click. Paid referencing (Search Engine Advertising) is a formidable technique that depends on a budget and allows you to quickly make your products known to consumers.
Be careful all the same, because when you stop paying, your site then becomes drowned again among the thousands of competitors and your brand falls back into complete anonymity. Paid referencing can, however, be recommended for a new brand that seeks to quickly promote its products, in parallel with another marketing plan.
Search engine marketing is now applied almost systematically for new companies that advocate a cross-channel or omnichannel strategy. Moreover, even if it is the most used type of marketing, it requires specific skills and knowledge.
2. Direct marketing
As its name suggests, this marketing strategy is a communication technique aimed at directly linking the company and its prospects or customers. Direct marketing makes it possible to send a personalized message to the targets, in order to encourage them to act thanks to a call to action. This can be making the purchase, filling out a quote request, contacting you, visiting your website, etc.
There are several ways to implement a direct marketing strategy:
Emailing or sending e-mails.
Commonly used method which consists in sending emails to prospects or customers, in order to inform them of an event or simply to maintain the link. For example, notifying of the launch of new services or products, a limited special offer, wishing a customer’s birthday, promoting a new blog post, etc.
Emailing is a marketing technique that can deliver an average open rate of 41% and a click-through rate of 10%. This still requires putting in place good practices for writing a professional email. Know how to write the subject of a powerful email for example, offer interesting informative content and as personalized as possible for the customer.
Phone calling, also called cold calling.
It is a way to make contact with loyal customers but also prospects. It requires the preparation of a scenario upstream, in order to adapt your speech to the current situation of the interlocutor. Generally, phone calling applies to present an offer or a new service to customers. This must correspond to the profile of the customers contacted, in order to meet their needs and obtain positive responses.
The postal mailing
These are the flyers received by mail that promote a company, its know-how, its services and / or its products. The postal mailing can be targeted if you collect information from your CRM tool. This allows you to know the exact number of flyers to print, and to reach the customers likely to be interested.
But a more global plan can also be put in place, by direct mailing to a large audience. This method works well because everyone has a mailbox, however, more and more people are adopting the “Stop Pub”. In addition, it is especially accessible for large companies because it remains very expensive.
SMS marketing or mobile marketing
Here, the box contacts the prospect or customer directly by SMS if the latter agrees to give his telephone number. As with other direct marketing techniques, SMS marketing aims to inform customers of a promotional coupon, sales dates, for example, or the arrival of a new product.
3. Relationship marketing, a type of marketing to reward customer loyalty
Relationship marketing relies on its good understanding with its customers, in order to create a long-term relationship. The relational is therefore put forward, ahead of the transactional, adept at “one shot” sales. The customer is in the spotlight and for this, availability, personalization and frequency of contact must be there .
- A loyalty program, which is increasingly advantageous for loyal customers, is effective in retaining customers. Generally, this translates into individual promotions, a gift with or without obligation to purchase (for his birthday for example), and possibly the possibility of becoming an ambassador and promoting the brand in exchange for additional discounts.
- The personalization of exchanges, products and also promotions gives the customer a status that he feels to be privileged.
- The personalized individual relationship with an adviser, a salesperson or a salesperson, for example. The goal is for the customer to feel considered and listened to. In this specific case and as a professional, you must not make the mistake of generalizing the needs of your customers. Listen, offer your help and why not even become an ambassador for your brand!
Relationship marketing allows you to establish a relationship of trust with your customers. This applies to considering her, understanding her needs, and rewarding her faithfulness. This is the key to making your business last, which meets many objectives such as ensuring a stable turnover quickly, finding new customers and putting sales in the spotlight.
4. Content Marketing
Also known as content marketing, content marketing is great if your goals are to increase your brand awareness, generate leads, and develop your visibility on the web. This consists of producing and distributing content of several types (videos, articles, podcasts, newsletters, etc.), on communication media between the brand and its community (social networks, blog, website, YouTube™ channel, email, etc).
Criteria for content that converts
However, the content must meet certain criteria, in order to give you an image of an expert with your target:
- Varying the different media is a plus that allows you to reach a wider audience. Social networks and blogs are not necessarily used by the same prospect profiles. It is therefore a way to expand your clientele and complete your content. For example, Marc, sports coach, writes an article on the best exercises to lose belly fat. Naturally, he includes his video which illustrates the different types of movements to be made.
- Qualitative content that brings real informative value to customers is essential. To become the reference in your sector and gain the trust of your prospects, make sure that what is published is truthful, unique and that it brings additional data compared to your competitors.
- The frequency of publication is also important. To animate and engage a community, it must be able to get regular information and also follow you in your daily life.
Content Marketing on LinkedIn™
It’s hard to promote your business without going through LinkedIn™. This B2B giant is a benchmark that brings together 790 million professionals around the world . To appear as an expert in your field of activity and boost your visibility, it is a social platform not to be put aside!
Engaging content on LinkedIn™ is:
- A short and catchy title;
- An interactive post that generates a high rate of engagement: carousel , survey, video;
- Sharing truthful information that may be of interest to your community;
- One or more illustrations that catch the eye and complement your content.
At Proinfluent, we believe that everyone should be able to establish themselves and expand their network on LinkedIn™ to find new clients. This is why we offer you personalized support in your image, in order to master this tool at your own pace. Contact one of our experts to find out more!
Concretely, content marketing is established by broadcasting articles, podcasts, videos, webinars, interviews, etc. several times a week. In addition to establishing a relationship of trust by becoming the market reference with a strong influence, you also participate in search engine marketing, by establishing a natural referencing strategy.
5. Street marketing, a sometimes surprising type of marketing
It is one of the types of marketing that promotes a product or service directly in front of your home! Street meaning street, street marketing corresponds to all communication techniques, which present a company in the street.
This strategy makes it possible to intervene in the daily lives of potential leads, prospects or customers through actions, information or contacts. The goal being to attract the attention of consumers, street marketing is often expressed in an original and attractive way. It can be in various forms.
A great classic to convey a message to a large number of customers.
Self-service or distributed by volunteers, samples are always very popular and allow you to test a product for free. And above all, the best way to be convinced by the effectiveness of an article is to test it and integrate it into your routine.
Being in the most unexpected place, when customers least expect it. Excellent method to convert leads into prospects, make yourself known to the public and surprise your potential customers.
A friendly marketing strategy that everyone can participate in. Perfect for promoting an event or a product with originality and joviality.
Diversion of furniture or urban decor
For example, changing a classic bus shelter by making it luxurious and comfortable. A little wink that makes consumers’ daily lives more pleasant, and gives your company a benevolent image.
Street marketing is mostly used in big cities like New York or Tokyo. There, realistic 3D effects are even commonly deployed. On the ground, walls, vehicles, street furniture and even the roofs of buildings, all means are good to promote your product.
The advantage is that you reach a lot of people since the places are chosen upstream according to their attendance. However, it is not always possible to target consumers with this method. The primary goal is therefore to promote in mass and live, unlike the content strategy, which aims rather to broadcast on social networks and the web.
6. Viral Marketing
It is a type of marketing that is based on the principle of word of mouth, but in a more virtual version. Just as a virus does, viral marketing seeks to spread its information, product or service quickly to the population. For a company, the goal of this marketing strategy is to fully satisfy its customers. As a result, they unconsciously participate in its evolution .
Word of mouth is information qualified as disinterested and reliable for 74.5% of French people. 64% of them say they have given up buying a product because someone they know was not satisfied with their product! Word of mouth therefore makes it possible to quickly forge a good or bad reputation!
The different ways to apply viral marketing
- Post content that elicits emotion to hold the reader’s attention and make them reflect on their own situation. For example, you sell an innovative vegetable peeler that makes the job faster. You are looking to provoke a click, so you confront your prospect with his own profile by pressing the pain: “Are you tired of wasting several hours a week cooking? Do you want to spend more time with your family? It is possible, thanks to our revolutionary new tool. You involve the reader who then understands all the benefits of your product.
- Collaborating with influential personalities allows you to talk about your brand and suddenly propel it. Celebrities spend their time being photographed and their outfits are spied up and down by magazines. In addition, influencers who are followed by thousands of people also expose their new finds on social networks. A great way to get out of the shadows and get your business talked about.
- Offering gifts or discounts, conditional on sharing or sponsorship, is a common practice that has proven its worth.
- Systematically offer consumers to share your content and their shopping experiences. For this, “Share” buttons are placed in evidence. Recommending the product after receiving it is also an effective method.
7. Influencer marketing, an effective type of social media marketing
It is the fact of promoting its products, its services or its company through influencers or recognized experts. They are influential personalities on the web and in particular social networks.
The principle is simple, depending on your budget, you are targeting a category of influencers:
- Nano-influencers, less than 10,000 subscribers. Rates are affordable;
- Micro-influencers, between 10,000 and 100,000 subscribers;
- Macro-influencers, from 100,000 to 500,000 subscribers;
- Mega-influencers, more than 500,000 subscribers, their rates are extremely high.
Instead of being paid, some influencers prefer a partnership that allows you to benefit from many advantages (percentage of discount against distribution of your product three times a month for example).
It is then a question of choosing the personality that best corresponds to your product. For example, asking to promote meat to a vegetarian is absolutely not credible.
Type of marketing to conclude
- Search engine marketing: digital marketing technique, it allows you to be present effectively on Google™ thanks to natural or paid referencing. Your website is first in the results of queries related to your activity.
- Direct marketing: the company contacts the prospect directly with a personalized speech in order to push him to action (visit your website, make an appointment, fill out an estimate, etc.). Emailing, cold calling, postal mailing and SMS marketing are direct marketing techniques.
- Relationship marketing: its ultimate goal is to build customer loyalty by forging privileged links. Loyalty programs as well as individual and personalized exchanges are particularly recommended for adopting relationship marketing.
- Content marketing: regularly distributing qualitative and optimized content, allows you to be placed in the first Google results, as well as forging an expert image with your community.
- Street marketing: this is advertising that is broadcast in the street in the form of advertising posters, distribution of samples or even flash mobs.
- Viral marketing: It works on word of mouth in order to spread quickly and get new customers.
- Influencer marketing: it is paying influential personalities to promote its products.
Type of marketing to summarize in 4 questions
What are the 5 types of marketing?
In reality, there are more than 5 types of marketing, however, here are the ones that are most often applied:
- Content marketing: distributing qualitative information on several media (social networks, videos, blog articles, podcasts, etc.) allows you to forge an image of expert to become the reference in your field of activity.
- Relationship marketing: the goal is to forge a special bond with its customers to establish a long-term relationship.
- Street marketing: this corresponds to any form of advertising that is present in the daily outdoor environment, in other words, the street.
- Direct marketing: consists of contacting the consumer directly with a personalized message whose goal is to encourage him to act.
- Search engine marketing: allows you to promote your website by appearing in the first results of Google.
What is the best type of marketing?
There are different types of marketing and finding the best one is all about setting specific goals. Indeed, if you want to establish a long-term relationship with your consumers, you have to rely on relationship marketing. Ditto, to attract leads and prospects to you, avoid direct marketing and opt for a content strategy instead. You get it, the best type of marketing depends on your goals.
What is operational marketing?
Operational marketing encompasses all marketing techniques and strategies that promote a product and its company. For example, viral, direct, relational and influencer marketing are marketing strategies that are part of operational marketing.
What is the purpose of marketing?
The primary objective of marketing is to promote a brand, product, service or company. This requires the implementation of marketing techniques and strategies, which make it possible to find new customers, generate leads, build customer loyalty, boost sales and therefore increase turnover. Concretely, this results in the distribution of qualitative content, regular contact with its customers, the possibility of obtaining gifts and reductions in exchange for a service (sharing for example), the distribution of advertising posters, the sending flyers, etc. Each company must define its marketing strategy, in order to evolve towards its objectives.